Wednesday, December 16, 2015

New Bathroom

So the first room COMPLETELY finished in our new to us house is the bathroom seen below.  It was a pretty tight fit and not really my style.  The color was okay but other than that it just didn't work for me. 

 I did a quick paint job of the fixtures to get me through the first year.  

And I changed out all doorknobs on all doors.

We wanted to update all the electrical and make sure the house had plenty of insulation anyway so we gutted it.  Surprise...haha!

I had a vision of what I wanted and I had found a beautiful vintage pedestal sink and a phenomenal medicine cabinet, so I figured half the battle was done! 

Finding a 54" clawfoot tub was a little more of a challenge.  After making a couple trips to the Twin Cities and searching architectural salvage yards with literally dozens and dozens of vintage tubs only 1 tub was 54" and it was a pedestal tub, not my fave and way over my budget.  I took a break, regrouped and checked Craigslist for the millionth time....SCORE!  And it was only 30 miles away.  Added bonus...the guy had a 32" one piece shower stall for a new bathroom we were adding and a fabulous craftsman entry door.  YAY!  Who can say no to a door? (I seem to have lost the photo of the tub before I painted it...oops sorry .)

The hardest decision of all was the wall color.  I sorta liked the color the previous owners had used, and there was about half a gallon left so I mixed it with some white and baby blue that I had left over and came up with this periwinkle blue/lavendarish looking color.  The ceiling is low in this room so I carried the color over to the ceiling a little bit just to add a little more height or interest.  I may still put some moudling there as well just to jazz it up, but for now I am okay with it as it is. 

Next, I trimmed out the window with salvaged woodwork and corner blocks as well as the doorway.  

 Then I put down the floor.  Another hard decision.  I wanted wood floors, but did not want a little lip in the doorway threshold because of the thickness of the wood.  Mostly because I didn't want to trip over it in the middle of the night and I know wood is not the best choice in a bathroom, though all my bathrooms have been wood.  I had to compromise with vinyl flooring.  It was very thin which made it flush with hall floor and it was easy for me to snap and install.  

It turned out ok in the end.  We'll see how it lasts.  

So here is the finished room with my restored fixtures, cabinets (check out the wavy glass reflection from that 120 year old mirror) and painted and distressed tub.

I bought a $7 thrift store mirror and put it in an antique frame that my sister had gotten at a thrift store years ago.  I then painted and distressed it and I think it really pulled the room together.

The robe hanger behind the door is something I made from a salvaged piece of wood I found at a yard sale and some antique coat hooks. 

I stripped the blue paint from the sides and interior of this cabinet and stained it dark walnut, but left the back of the door blue.  I found some scrap wood to make shelves and they actually matched the door! 

I'm pretty happy with the finished project and am anxious to finish the rest of the house!


No comments:

Post a Comment